Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Benched - temporarily

It's me again - taking over the keyboard from Matt. Turns out maybe I wasn't meant to be a marathoner afterall - perhaps shopping is truly the only sport I am cut out for :-). After my long run a couple of weeks ago, I started having some sharps pains in my left leg and right ankle. I tried a few more days of running only to make things worse. I could hardly walk and had to resort to wearing flip flops to work as my 3 inch heels just weren't very comfortable! My friend Jill referred me to a chiropractor that she went to while training for a marathon and I had my first visit this Monday. Turns out I have sprained my left fibula and have torn some ligaments in my right ankle - nice. He still thinks I can run the marathon -so I have taken this week off of running with hopes to resume on Monday. Let's hope I can keep up with Dana and Adria and I don't drag anyone down!

Matt and I leave for LA on Thursday - and we both just have no clue what to expect on this big adventure! Matt did get an itinerary and he has his "photoshoot" on Friday afternoon along with his workout. Of course, we all know my major concern is what do I need to bring to wear for this little journey! I will definitely be sure to document everything and share with everyone.

Until next time....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leigh! My name is Kristen and I've been reading some of Matt's posts on the RS Board about you training for your marathon. Nice to meet you and your little girl is soooooooooooo sweet!!! Also, I am so happy that you and Matt had a great time in LA! That is so cool!

I was reading your blog about your injuries and I am so sorry to hear that and I know exactly how you feel. I started running in 2005 and have trained for 2 1/2 marathons and have also trained for some smaller races as well and I've had my fair share of minor injuries and one big one ( a torn hamstring tendon) that I actually tore during an 8K race in June and I almost fell right through the finish line. :o) I'm still on the mend from that one as it really took me down, but I'm doing good and have been taking it real slow in getting myself back, (had to go to rehab for this issue) and have registered for my first full marathon in May of 2008.
Prior to that mishap, when I was training for may 2nd 1/2 marathon, I've had to take a few weeks for some I-Band issues, Achilles Tendon, borsitis of my right hip, LOL.........but the good news for these injuries was that even though I hated to take some time off to let the injuries heal because I didn't want to fall short with my training, I still was able to run the race and with my last 1/2 and I beat my PR by 7 minutes! I was soooooooooo happy!!!

Listen to your body and let the injuries heal. It may take a few weeks, but that is okay!!!!! Enjoy the Holidays with your family. You still have plenty of time before the big day to get your training in. No worries and no pressure!!! You are young and strong and I'm sure you'll do terrific! I pushed too far with this last injury, and it has taken me a long time to re-couperate from it.

Are you taking any type of supplementation? I would highly recommend taking a combination of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM to support your joints.

Also, check out this website: http://coolrunning.com/engine/2/index.shtml. The have a message board and you can read or even post some questions about your injuries or read about other peoples ordeals as well and they overcame it. It's a great site!

I do wish you well and wish you a speedy recovery!!!!!! I'll keep checking in to see how you are doing! Please, if you have any questions, feel free to contact me through the RS board e-mail.

Wishing you and your family a joyous Holiday Season!